This site is the Linux-raid kernel list community managed reference for Linux software RAID as implemented in recent 2.6 kernels. It should replace many of the unmaintained and out-of-date documents 'out there' such as the Software RAID HOWTO and the Linux RAID FAQ.
Where possible, information should be tagged with the minimum kernel/software version required to use the feature. Some of the information on these pages are unfortunately quite old, but we are in the process of updating the info (aren't we always...)
Linux raid issues are discussed in the linux-raid mailing list to be found at http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-raid
There is an Overview section that is based on the RAID HowTo, covering the following:
- Why RAID?
- Hardware issues
- RAID setup
- Detecting, querying and testing
- Tweaking, tuning and troubleshooting
- Related tools
- Partitioning RAID / LVM on RAID
The document is sprinkled with references to the deprecated raidtools which are being gradually removed.
Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ
Here goes a collection of frequently asked questions.
A mdadm-faq is available.
Areas Of Interest
- RAID Creation
- RAID Recovery
- RAID Administration
- RAID Boot
- SATA RAID Boot Recipe
- Preventing against a failing disk
- Editing pages
- Wikipedia RAID including description of specific Linux RAID types
- Kernel Newbies basic information about working on kernel
- The mathematics of RAID6
- SATA RAID FAQ about hardware/fake raid cards]
- HW RAID support in Linux
- linux-raid mailing list archives
See Spam Blocks for the spam restrictions on this site.